White Penja Pepper PGI
White Penja Pepper PGI
The white Penja pepper is a medium-sized, aromatic pepper for lovers of a robust white pepper. The pepper is very fragrant and fruity, thanks to the mineral-rich, volcanic soil of the Penja valley. Absolutely without pesticides and without artificial fertilizers.
Note: Due to climatic conditions, the development of the pepperberry sometimes lags behind expectations. That has been the case with the 2021/22 Penja harvest, resulting in a smaller berry than normal (smaller than in the images). The taste is no less. While supplies last, we are selling side by side both the 2021/22 harvest and the 2022/23 harvest ( without mentioning the latest harvest!)
Penja pepper is the first and so far only pepper variety that is professionally grown on African soil. This has only happened since the 1950s, when the pepper was introduced there.
In addition, this pepper is the first product on the African continent to be awarded the European Indication géographique protégée (IGP) label. This label applies to all pepper grown in the Penja Valley, and means that it is the only one allowed to use that name.
Since the introduction of the pepper plant, pepper cultivation in Cameroon has taken off, and especially in recent years it has been seen how a good product tells its own story. Not only has production increased sharply in recent years (although it is still a 'small' pepper at 300 tons per year), but also the price on the market. More and more farmers are switching from the less profitable cultivation of cocoa and coffee to pepper.
The special thing about the Penja pepper is the result, a particularly tasty pepper according to French gastronomers and chefs, who are very fond of the pepper from the former French colony.
The pepper is picked when it is ripe (red). The PGI rules prescribe how the white pepper is produced, in barrels filled with drinking water in which the red skins loosen after 7 to 10 days and float to the top in the barrels. This makes it easy to separate the white core and red pepper skin, after which the pepper is dried in the sun. During the maceration, light fermentation takes place, giving the penja pepper its unparalleled flavor palette.
Suitable for delicate vegetables such as zucchini, cucumbers and beans, in creamy soups and sauces and as table pepper.
- 100% peeled pepper berries of the Piper nigrum
- protected by African PGI (Protected Geographical Indication) label
- origin: Cameroon, Penja valley (Moungo)
- available in glass, stand-up pouch and test tube
- glass jar contains 60 grams
- stand-up pouches with a capacity of up to 30 to 1000 grams
- available in test tube of 10 ml
- larger quantities on request
- the jar is available in a tasteful gift packaging, consisting of a cube box filled with black tissue paper
- for an overview of our gift packaging, please refer to the section gift packaging
- grind your pepper shortly before use
- store your penja pepper in closed packaging
- preferably store in a dark, dry and cool place
- harvest 2021/22: at least sustainable until June 2025 (06/25)
harvest 2022/23: at least sustainable until October 2026 (10/26)
- these expiration dates are an indication