An adobo is a preservation technique that originated on the Iberian Peninsula in the fifteenth century. The core of an adobo is the chili pepper, originally a Spanish pimenton, but depending on the region where the adobo is used, also regional chili peppers (Capsicum annuum), such as the Mexican chili peppers in this Mexican version, which also contains smoked chili pepper, in the form of chipotle is used.
An adobo - Spanish for marinade and spice mixture - is traditionally a mixture of herbs, spices, salt and/or vinegar, with which perishable products (meat and fish) were preserved. With the discovery of the chili pepper in the New World, the Spanish added it to the list of adobo ingredients. With great success. The capsaicin, which is responsible for the chili pepper's pungency, was found to have strong antibacterial properties, capable of penetrating deep into meat and fish by dissolving into fat. It would be the basis of many adobos, in Portugal always combined with wine or vinegar.
The technique was introduced worldwide, and is very popular in the Philippines, Mexico, Peru and Puerto Rico.
Adobo is used all over the world to season meat and fish, rarely as a preservative. Berenjenas de Almagro, eggplant with adobo, a Castilian classic is delicious. Make a marinade with it, with a tomato passata or polpa, or use the mixture as a rub, such as with lomo and adobo, pork fillet.
- mixture of chili pepper (pimentón and chipotle), black pepper, cumin, onion, oregano, tomato and garlic, no salt
- origin: Iberian Peninsula - this version is Mexican
- production: United Kingdom
- available in glass jar with a capacity of 60 grams
- and in pouch (stand-up bag) with a capacity of 30 - 250 grams
- larger quantities on request
- the jar is available in a tasteful gift packaging, consisting of a cube box filled with black tissue paper
- for an overview of our other gift packaging, please refer to the section gift packaging
- store chipotle adobo in a dark, dry and cool place
- best before May 2025 (05/25)
- the expiration date is an indication