Go directly to product information
1 <tc>of</tc> 4

depeperwinkel

Black Tellicherry pepper TGSEB GI

Black Tellicherry pepper TGSEB GI

Normal price €7,75 EUR
Normal price Offer price €7,75 EUR
Offer Out of stock
Including VAT. Shipping costs will be calculated at checkout.
Your performance

Tellicherry 'bold' is one of our four quality peppers from the Malabar Coast. To  be called  Tellicherry, a peppercorn must meet a number of quality requirements, including size. Almost 90% of the 'malabar peppers' do not meet this requirement, our pepper belongs to the other 10% and is also organically grown.

Protected geographical origin (India)

Tellicherry peppers are named after the port town of Thalassery, which was called Tellicherry in British times. Just like the fort they built there at the beginning of the 18th century to defend their pepper interests in India. Thalassery was the absolute center of the pepper trade even before British intervention, even before the Portuguese claimed it in the 14th century.

Our Tellicherry is of organic origin and is briefly steamed before being dried. Tellicherry pepper is famous for its rich aroma, which can develop by leaving the fruits on the plant for as long as possible.

To be a Tellicherry pepper, a peppercorn must not only come from the region around Tellicherry, they must also be 4.25 mm or larger. Only then do they qualify for the name Tellicherry Garbled Extra Bold - TGEB. Only 10% of the harvest meets the conditions of Tellicherry Extra Bold. A portion is even larger than 4.75 mm, a premium that is fully called Tellicherry Garbled Special Extra bold. Tellicherry peppers fall under the same Indian Geographical Protection of 2006 (GI), comparable to the European Geographical Indication, abbreviated in Dutch as BGI.

Our Tellicherry is the pepperberry of similar pepper varieties to the smaller malabar peppers. The difference is the size. In addition to this Tellicherry, we also offer the Wayanad Tellicherry, a special variety, also from organic cultivation.

What distinguishes Tellicherry from other Tellicherries and Malabars?

A frequently recurring question. The answer is: the size of the berry, which allows the aromas and tartness to be developed to the maximum extent. Moreover, this Tellicherry is cultivated in Wayanad in organic cultivation. This specific Tellicherry of two local pepper varieties is famous for its very spicy character due to its relatively high piperine content, properties that we like to recognize in a Tellicherry pepper.

Why not organic?

In order to be able to supply this organically grown pepper under the organic label, we will have to be certified as a packer/producer of the pepper. We are not. Although we process and store organic products and products from regular cultivation strictly separately, we are not allowed to use the label organic.

Usage

This particularly tasty black pepper is very suitable for general use.

Features:

  • 100% pepper berries of the Piper nigrum
  • protected by the Indian GI (Geographical Protection) Tag
  • 100% TGSEB 
  • origin: Wayanad, India
  • from organic cultivation

Assortment

  • available in glass, stand-up pouch and test tube
  • glass jar contains 60 grams
  • stand-up pouches with a capacity of up to 30 to 500 grams
  • available in 10 ml test tube
  • larger quantities on request

Gift packaging

  • the jar is available in a tasteful gift packaging, consisting of a cube box filled with black tissue paper
  • for an overview of our gift packaging, please refer to the gift packaging section

General advice

  • grind your pepper shortly before use
  • add the ground pepper to your preparation at the very last minute

Save:

  • store your tellicherry pepper in closed packaging
  • preferably store in a dark, dry and cool place
  • best before March 2026 (03/26)
  • this expiration date is an indication

Try ?

Would you like to know what Tellicherry tastes like? You can also try a test tube with enough pepper to understand the flavor essence of this pepper.

Inventory item

Towards the end of each season we may have limited stock of a type of pepper. Don't be discouraged if the choice seems limited, and inquire about the expected delivery time.

 

View all details