Black Penja Pepper
Black Penja Pepper
Black Penja pepper is a medium-sized, aromatic pepper from Cameroon, for general use by lovers of a robust pepper variety. In every respect, the pepper does justice to its volcanic breeding ground. Fiery, fragrant and fruity. Grown without pesticides and fertilizers.
Penja pepper is the first and so far only pepper variety that is professionally cultivated on African soil. That has only happened since the fifties of the last century, when the pepper was introduced there.
Moreover, white pepper from Penja is the first product on the African continent to be awarded the Indication géographique protégée (IGP) label with European support. This label applies to all (white) pepper designated as such that is grown in the Penja valley, and means that this pepper from Penja is the only one allowed to bear this protected name.
Since the introduction of the pepper plant, pepper cultivation in Cameroon has really taken off, and in recent years it has become clear how a good product tells its own story. Not only the production has risen sharply in recent years (although it is still a 'small' pepper with 300 tons per year), also the price on the market. More and more farmers are switching from the less profitable cultivation of cocoa and coffee to that of pepper.
The special thing about the Penja pepper is the result, a particularly tasty pepper according to French gastronomes and chefs, who are very fond of the pepper from the former French colony.
Why not organic?
In order to be able to supply this organically grown pepper under the label organic, we will have to be certified as a packer/producer of the pepper. We are not. Although we process and store organic products and products from regular cultivation strictly separately, we are not (yet) allowed to carry the designation organic.
This black pepper combines excellently with steaks
- 100% pepper berries from Piper nigrum
- Protected by PGI label (Protected Geographical Indication)
- origin: Cameroon, Penja valley (Moungo)
- available in glass, pouch and test tube
- glass jar contains 60 grams
- stand-up pouches with a content of up to 30 to 500 grams
- available in 10 ml test tube
- larger quantities on request
- the jar is available in a tasteful gift box, consisting of a cube box filled with black tissue paper
- for an overview of our gift packaging, please refer to the category gift packaging
- grind your pepper shortly before use
- add the ground pepper to your preparation at the very last moment
- keep your Penja pepper in closed packaging
- preferably store in a dark, dry and cool place
- best before August 2025 (08/25)
- this expiration date is an indication
Would you like to know what this Penja pepper tastes like?
Could you also try a test tube. The tube contains enough pepper to fathom the flavor essence.