Garam masala is one of the three masalas that we sell in the pepper shop. Just like ras-el-hanout, it has many compositions. We stick to a recipe that is authentically spicy, and not hot.
Sometimes garam masala clearly contains non-Indian ingredients, such as paprika and cayenne pepper. One thing is certain, it does not contain turmeric, as Jane Lawson rightly points out in her Spice bible, neither do chillies!
Maddhur Jaffrey clearly explains the use of garam masala in Taste of India : "sprinkle it over your dish just before serving". She also adheres to the main rule: no chili pepper, no turmeric, but black pepper.
A well-known Indian dish in which garam masala is indispensable is chicken tandoori, richly marinated chicken, prepared in the tandoori oven. The marinade is a mixture of yogurt, ginger, garlic, garam masala and oil, possibly enriched with some extra cumin, black pepper and fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).
Smell and taste
Garam masala is warm and spicy and certainly not 'hot'. You add it at the end of a preparation to take full advantage of the rich aromas. Combine it with grilled chicken (marinated in yogurt with garam masala - like tandoori chicken) and stewed lamb. Garam masala is rarely, if ever, used with fish. Do you like to use masala with fruit? Then enrich your masala with some mango powder, and (only for enthusiasts) with asafoetida.
- traditional recipe: coriander seed, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, green cardamom, fennel and cloves.
- origin: Indian cuisine (general)
- available in glass and pouch (no test tubes)
- glass jar contains 60 grams
- stand-up pouches with a content of up to 30 to 250 grams
- larger quantities on request
- the jar is available in a tasteful gift box, consisting of a cube box filled with black tissue paper
- for an overview of our gift packaging, please refer to the category gift packaging
- add garam masala shortly before serving a preparation, or use it in a marinade
- keep your masala in closed packaging
- preferably store in a dark, dry and cool place
- best before October 2023 (10/23)
- this expiration date is an indication